Breaking the Circle
Skills and Skill Changes
For the most part, we’ll be using the FATE Core default skill list for our skills, with the following alterations:
- Academics will be added. This will serve the same function as Lore, but will not include esoteric or arcane knowledge.
- Crafts will not be applicable to “high-tech” devices.
- Drive will not be applicable to any non-ground-based vehicles.
- Fight will be replaced by Unarmed Combat and Melee Combat. Unarmed Combat will cover hand-to-hand combat and martial arts, while Melee Combat will handle melee weapons. Unarmed Combat cannot be used to defend against Melee Combat, but Melee Combat can defend against Unarmed.
- Lore will no longer cover subjects that are normally taught as a part of a complete education. It will now cover arcane, esoteric, and obscure knowledge and rituals.
- Pilot will be added. It will function the same as Drive, but will cover any non-ground-based vehicles.
- Shoot is being replaced by Small Arms and Heavy Weapons. Small Arms covers pistols, shotguns, submachine guns and rifles of all sorts. Heavy Weapons covers heavy machine guns, launched and guided ordinance, portable weapon emplacements, light artillery, and anything else not covered here.
- Tech will be added, functioning as Crafts, but focusing on technology. In addition, it serves as the skill for hacking.